Sunday, May 31, 2015

#LivingInTheMoment

Look at me, posting again!  It's only the second week, but I think I can do this #52weekproject! We'll see.

Today's main story isn't all that great.  It's about blood, tears, ice cream, and memories.  Sounds interesting, right? I hope that means you'll read on...

On Tuesday of this week, I had an institute function that I was to attend for work.  It was specifically for the high school seniors, to help them transition into the "post-high-school-life" scene, and we were asked as teachers to attend, so they had some familiar faces.  Since Mom had a meeting of her own, I decided to take B and E with me to mingle with my students.  Because there was to be ice cream there, I told the kiddos that they were coming with me to "daddy's work ice cream party".  Boy, were they excited.

Thus begins the saga.  The kids were super excited to go, but when the clock reached the time for our departure, as so often occurs, we weren't exactly ready to head out the door.  B wasn't "done" with dinner yet.  E couldn't find her shoes.  Then I couldn't find my phone or keys.  The culmination of craziness was when B snuck outside, tripped on the concrete sidewalk, fell face first, and got a bloody nose (I told you there was blood). All in all, when we finally were in the car ready to leave, there we were WAY behind schedule.  With our ETA just about 5 or so minutes before the ice cream party was to end, I decided it wasn't in our best interest to go to "daddy's work ice cream party" after all.  E and B very much disagreed with me.  Nothing I said came close to consoling them.

As I tried to explain to my two two children who were in the depths of despair that we weren't going to be able to make it to the party, I was reminded of the store just around the corner and their 59 cent ice cream cones.  So we had our own ice cream party there.  Children satisfied.  Problem solved.

Now I know that this story really wasn't all that exciting, but while I was sitting at the store with them, my mind flashed to the advice from all of those "old folks" out there who said that time with small kids goes so fast.  My mind did a quick flash forward.  Soon, Child Numero 3 will be joining us, the kids will go to school, graduate from 6th, then 9th, then 12th grades, go on missions and get married, and poof!...they'll be gone.  So crazy!  I just want to cherish and treasure these moments with them.  I hope I can remember that each time its a "hard parenting moment".  I hope I can see that these "moments are the molecules that makes up eternity" (Neal A. Maxwell), and that by living in the moment, I can learn to appreciate my kids and my family even more.  I love these guys and I'm so thankful for them.  I just absolutely, completely, totally, entirely LOVE being a dad!

#LivingInTheMoment #DoutreLove #TheyMeltMyHeartLikeIceCream #CapitalLettersHelpYouReadHashtagsBetter #Seriously

This video illustrates what I am thinking about rather well.  Enjoy!

Oh, here's a picture from our ice cream night...

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment