Sunday, May 24, 2015

The difference between can, should, and does...

Today's post isn't anything special.  Just the first in a series of efforts to actually share my experiences as a new-ish father, learning how to raise a family in today's marvelous and scary world.

I have only one brief story to share this week. Last Sunday, E was coming down off a throw-uppy night, and we told her that she had to stay home from church until she got better. She had thrown up for the third time just a few hours before church, so, from a parental perspective, keeping her home was totally logical. However, E doesn't see it from our parental perspective. As we waved goodbye to B and Mom going to church, E started crying. She expressed that all she wanted to do was "go to church, play with her friends, and learn about Jesus." I took her by the hand and sat her down in the front room, where we tried brainstorming different activities that we could do at home to keep her mind off of it, but every few minutes she would ask if we could go to church. I couldn't believe this girl's perseverance and persistence. When the other half of our little family finally came home, E told Mom in a very dramatic fashion about how "all I wanted to do was go to church!"

Although I laugh at that situation and think it was very cute, I also wonder how I feel about attending church and my own personal worship that should take place there. I mean, I know that I can and should pay devotion through my faith and the way that I live each and every day, but church is a time each week when I can and should focus all of my thoughts and energy on learning more about my Savior and strengthening my personal relationship with Him. It is a time when I can and should renew my promises to Him through the sacrament. It is a time when I can and should replenish my spiritual reserves for the week and prepare for the coming trials of another week. I know all the right answers as to why going to church can and should mean something to me...but does it? That experience from last week with E affected me and my worship today as we attended church. For that, I am grateful to my wonderful, ever-so-cute daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment